Dead Celebrity? How Tragic. Dead Soldier? Who Cares.

Once again the world is mourning the loss of strung out celebrity who was known for their ability to sing well.  Whitney Houston died as a result of her own reckless lifestyle.  Meanwhile, an American Soldier died in service to his country.  Remember, if an American Soldier dies, it’s just another day. But If a strung out celebrity dies, its “tragic.”

Excuse me for not giving a damn about Whitney Houston’s inevitable demise.

This entry was posted in Mainstream Media, My Reads and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Dead Celebrity? How Tragic. Dead Soldier? Who Cares.

1. Smarter than your ass says:

Despite what you think a large majority of Americans would agree it’s a shame that society knows the name of a dead celebrity before the last soldier that died in combat. Before you attack me and call me a liberal (as if it’s something to be ashamed of) I have major respects for the brave men and women who serve and have fallen for our country. Their bravery comes from their decision to put themselves in harms way for our freedoms. This allows us, the citizens, to do the things we enjoy doing without the worry of hostile threat. This is one of the many reasons why I am so proud to be an American. You are a piece of trash. I’m not even a fan of hers. She influenced a whole mass of people. That’s something to be very proud of. I mean god damn she wasn’t even a bad person. You cannot just deny she didn’t do something significant because she did. Your argument would have been valid if you picked someone without any talent what so ever (say justin bieber) but you picked someone who is actually talented to make your shitty point. She made something of herself. Sometimes soldiers are the ones that make poor decisions never make anything of themselves (I feel sorry if you can’t comprehend this). Many soldiers go into war because they like to shoot shit and were brainwashed by their parents and other outdated influences that give them the belief that every soldier is given some kind of elitist entitlement that makes them some sort of superior race. Look, everybody gets that you care about U.S. soldiers dying across the world every day, but belittling the death of somebody else is not the way to make your damn point. To add to that, did you know that more than twice as many soldiers die from suicide after their tour than during their actual tours? Seriously, this is a severely twisted way to make a point. I have a ton of respect for the men and women that do their duty for this nation, but I will never (and I repeat NEVER) ignore or even mock the death of somebody else, no matter who they are or what they did. It is simply the fact that Whitney Houston was a celebrity and her death made the news splash because of the fault of the media, and we all know how fucked up the U.S. media is. I don’t even care about Whitney Houston but this is pushing it. Never forget that soldiers choose to put themselves in harms way. You can’t expect everyone to feel sorry. Open your eyes and get it through your thick ignorant skull. Shame on you.

2. J.R. says:

I approved your comment because

1. You’re an idiot.
    2. This is what you actually think of Soldiers (“Sometimes soldiers are the ones that make poor decisions never make anything of themselves . Many soldiers go into war because they like to shoot shit and were brainwashed by their parents and other outdated influences that give them the belief that every soldier is given some kind of elitist entitlement that makes them some sort of superior race.”)
    3. You’re two faced (“I have a ton of respect for the men and women that do their duty for this nation, “) which you said just after insulting them.
    4. You clearly think the death of a strung out drug addict is more important than a Soldier. (“Your argument would have been valid if you picked someone without any talent what so ever (say justin bieber) but you picked someone who is actually talented to make your shitty point.” )
    5. And you’re racist (“say justin bieber”)

3. RPL says:

Smarter Than…
    Not that J.R. needs anybody to defend him, but I read your diatribe. My G-d, you are a pathetic tool. Your ignorance and idiocy are jaw-dropping. If you don’t really understand a subjct, it’s better to keep quiet about it. Your knowledge of the armed forces and the reasons people have for signing up is severely lacking. Suffice it to say that the men and women who serve are owed a debt that the rest of us can never repay. Whiyney Houston and others like her? Talented, but not worth the outpouring of grief that is being generated. I do hope that she is at peace.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English thank a veteran.

4. J.R. says:

Talk about a shallow and ungrateful individual.

5. irritated says:

Smarter was the only one making sense…
    Listen, most of us Americans truly appreciate what the men and women of the armed forces do. My father was in the army and my brother is a marine so i have no quarrel with the military. However, the reason why soldiers don’t get near as much coverage as celebrities do when they pass is because soldiers die EVERYDAY. It doesn’t make it less sad in any way but it sure as hell makes it less surprising. Every single soldier who signs up for a branch of the military knows full well that there is a decent chance they’ll end up in a bodybag. Its the OBVIOUS risk of becoming a soldier. A majority of those who serve in the armed forces didn’t join because they wanted to “serve and protect their country”. They joined because their options were limited, plain and simple. This isn’t the 1700’s anymore where townsfolk and farmers HAD to stop their routine life and bear arms so they can LITERALLY defend this nation against foreign invaders. Not everyday does a globally known singer who helped open the doors for musicians, both black and female, pass away. And for those who wanna cast her off for smoking crack, what great entertainer DIDN’T do drugs?! Elvis, Jimmy Hendrix, Marilyn Monroe, Steve Clark of Def Leppard, Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones, Heath Ledger, Bradley Nowel of Sublime, Ike Turner, they all fucking did drugs. Even Stephen King and Sigmund Freud did cocaine! but you hear noone dare calling them crack heads.

• Amazed at the stupidity says:

Irritated: Nice list of celebs there. Now, can you name as many US soldiers that died in the past decade? That’s the point. As for the claim that soldiers take an obvious risk- yes they do. All to protect dumb asses like you who are too shallow and selfish to even consider serving and don’t have the decency to have a modicum of respect for them. But let’s delve into your comment a little deeper: You said:
      I say “Every single artist who signs up for fame and fortune on drugs knows full well that there is a decent chance they’ll end up in a bodybag. It’s the OBVIOUS risk of becoming a loser.

6. J.R. says:

“Who cares about dead Soldiers. They die every day. But drug addict celebrities only die like once a month.” Thats your point? Really?

“A majority of those who serve in the armed forces didn’t join because they wanted to “serve and protect their country”. They joined because their options were limited, plain and simple. ”

There is that liberal lie again. I fully expected it from someone trying to make your ridiculous argument. From the WSJ:

“In 2008, using data provided by the Defense Department, the Heritage Foundation found that only 11% of enlisted military recruits in 2007 came from the poorest one-fifth, or quintile, of American neighborhoods (as of the 2000 Census), while 25% came from the wealthiest quintile. Heritage reported that “these trends are even more pronounced in the Army Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) program, in which 40% of enrollees come from the wealthiest neighborhoods, a number that has increased substantially over the past four years.

Indeed, the Heritage report showed that “low-income families are underrepresented in the military and high-income families are overrepresented. Individuals from the bottom household income quintile make up 20.0 percent of Americans who are age 18-24 years old but only 10.6 percent of the 2006 recruits and 10.7 percent of the 2007 recruits. Individuals in the top two quintiles make up 40.0 percent of the population, but 49.3 percent of the recruits in both years.”

And this?

“And for those who wanna cast her off for smoking crack, what great entertainer DIDN’T do drugs?!”

Are you really trying to make that idiotic argument, or do you really want me to start a list? Because there are a lot of great artists who didnt smoke crack and end up dead in a hotel bathtub surrounded by prescription meds. The depths of your moral depravity apparently know no bounds.

Thank you for validating my point by denigrating Soldiers as a bunch of ignorant poor folk. You and “smarter” are a classy pair. Of course that’s what we’ve come to expect from your side of the aisle. Dead drug addict celeb? Oh, how tragic! Dead Soldier? Eh, they die all the time. Nice “values.”

7. Michael says:

I’m a soldier currently and I have both friends and family serving in the rather turbulent middle east. When I turn on the news, I don’t care who went to Houston’s funeral or who is to blame. If they find out, go ahead and run a piece on it. But the news should be focused on issues that actually matter right now. I won’t even hear an argument that she is more newsworthy than Syria, Bahrain, Greece or Afghanistan. I want to be kept informed of real issues not celebrities or I’d watch mtv or an entertainment network. There is too much going on for Americans to be focused on such issues. Also to add is that I made more money before I served than I do now. I don’t know anyone that joined for a lack of options. Does that mean that they aren’t out there? No. But they are the same minority as the people who disrespect the men and women who serve them online.

8. Eldon says:

When I was in Vietnam I couldn’t accept the fact that americans would jump and scream over a new hit song or a sporting event but wouldn’t even raise a finger or a book to understand why so many young men would die. This apathy toward the real life and love of celibrities who get so much from the world and give no lasting contribution will go til the end of time.

9. J.R. says:

Irritated, you’re wasting your time if you think posting under different names will get a comment in here. The IP Addresses all match.

10. BK says:

Big picture…who really cares who gets what or how much attention in the media? In this day and age we’re not limited to one channel on the television to find out what’s happening in the world…it is possible to bypass the unwanted news and read/watch what is important to YOU….

At the end of the day, the only attention that matters is that of the family and friends of the fallen soldiers.

And lets not forget about Remembrance Day/Veterans Day…..yes originally for WWI, but it’s really for any fallen soldier now isn’t it? it is for me, anyways….So, soldiers get one special day of remembrance every single year TILL THE END OF TIME..AND, this day is usually broadcasted and aired on television in every single city/town…Also, people close their businesses and take time off from work to pay tribute to these soldiers. There’s parades, and ceremonies and moments of silence and hanging out that the local Legion listening to old war stories…Soldiers DO get attention…and they get the attention that MATTERS!!!

Celebrities get a week of splash and then they’re forgotten about by the media. And MAYBE if it is a big superstar celebrity, they might get a quick mention on the news on the anniversary of their death. big deal. get over it. move on.

Comments are closed.